‘Spanish juice water’

York Herald
Saturday 21 October 1843

A LITTLE BOY POISONED AT WRENTHORPE

On Sunday last some little boys were playing together at Potovens, when two of them, called William Spawforth and James Wood, the one aged 12 years the other 10 years, produced a liquid in a small bottle, which they called Spanish juice water, and poured some of it down Francis Lumb’s throat. They let other boys taste it, but Lumb was the first. Immediately on Lumb swallowing it he screamed violently and ran home. On further inquiry it appeared that the lad Spawforth’s grandmother having left home for the day, he took the opportunity of searching her cupboard for a file, when a playfellow who was with him, found a bottle containing oil of vitriol used for dyeing silks, which he tasted, and finding that it blistered his lips offered it to other lads apparently for a joke, telling them it was Spanish juice water. The unfortunate deceased, more confiding than the rest, swallowed a small quantity, and although every effort was used to destroy the effect of the poison, he died about half past ten o’clock the following morning. Deceased was about five years of age and the son of a coal miner named Whitaker Lumb. The two lads Spawforth and Wood were apprehended and remained in custody till the termination of the coroner’s Inquest, when a verdict being returned of “Died from taking Oil of Vitriol, not knowing what it was”, they were liberated.